Six Mile Regional Library Board sets new photography and filming policy
Six Mile Regional Library Board of Trustees has announced a new ordinance.
Here is the ordinance as provided by Six Mile Regional Library Board of Trustees:
It is the policy of the Board of Directors of the Six Mile Regional Library District ("SMRLD") to permit photography and filming under the conditions described herein only to the extent that it does not interfere with the operations, programs, and activities of the SMRLD.
1. Casual Photography and Filming Casual amateur photography and filming is permitted in public areas of the SMRLD for patrons and visitors wanting a memento of their visit, provided that the photography does not interfere in any way with SMRLD operations or capture any identifiable likenesses of individuals without their permission. The use of other equipment such as lighting or tripod is not permitted. Any such photographers are responsible for arranging all necessary releases and permissions from persons who are filmed or photographed.
2. Commercial Photography and Filming No commercial photography or filming may occur in SMRLD facilities without the prior written permission and approval of the Executive Director or designee. To request permission, submit the Photography and Filming Application to the Administrative Assistant by mail, 2001 Delmar Avenue, Granite City, IL 62040 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for permission must generally be made at least 5 days in advance. A minimum fee of $50 per hour will be assessed to compensate for SMRLD staff necessary to open, secure, and remain on the premises during the shoot at overtime rates and other associated costs with remaining open during closed SMRLD hours. The fees will directly support SMRLD programming and services.
For commercial request questions, please call the Administrative Assistant at
618-452-6238 (ext. 302) or email email@example.com.
Factors Considered for Approval:
The Public interest
The Libraiy's interest
Issues of confidentiality
The need to conserve the time of employees for conducting official business
The amount of time each project will consume
The need to maintain impartiality among competing photographers
Any other purpose the Executive Director or designee deems to be in the interest of SMRLD
Photography and/or filming may not be related to political campaigns or to partisan issues.
3. Media Requests While SMRLD has an open door policy for news media photographers and reporters whose stories directly involve the library's programs, resources, collections, and services, obtaining advance permission is important to:
Ensure the library's users are not disturbed
Ensure library business is conducted without disruption
Protect the safety of those using the library facilities
Safeguard the Library's collections
4. Research Photography and Filming Individuals interested in research photography and/or filming of SMRLD's special collections, such as the Local History and Quiet Study Room and Six Miles of History must obtain advance approval from the Executive Director or designee in order to avoid disrupting library operations. Researchers are responsible for obtaining their own permissions when photographing or filming copyrighted materials.
5. Copyright Permission SMRLD owns the copjniight to several works on the history of the Granite City area. A Photo Permission Agreement Concerning Copyrighted Items Owned by Six Mile Regional Library District form must be submitted before any use of those items, in whole or in part, is granted.
6. Building(s) Exteriors Photographing and filming the exteriors of SMRLD buildings does not require permission, however photography may not impede the ingress or egress of visitors or staff to or from any SMRLD building.
7. Termination of permission SMRLD staff may terminate any photography and/or filming sessions that appears to compromise public safety or security and/or violates SMRLD rules.
8. SMRLD Use SMRLD may utilize photos and videos from public programs and events at SMRLD facilities and SMRLD spaces on its website and in SMRLD publications. Photos, images, and videos submitted to SMRLD by users for online galleries or contests may also be used by SMRLD for promotional purposes. To ensure the privacy of all individuals, including children, images will not be identified using full names or personal identifying information without written approval from the photographed subject, parent or legal guardian.
Organizations in this Story
2001 Delmar Avenue
Granite City, IL - 62040