Harrisburg Public Library District Board accepts tentative 2016-17 budget
Harrisburg Public Library Board of Trustees met Tuesday, Aug. 9.
Here are the minutes as provided by Harrisburg Public Library:
Harrisburg Public Library District
Board of Trustee Meeting Minutes
August 9, 2016
The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Harrisburg Public Library District was called to order by President Lynda
Clemmons at 4:05 pm. Those in attendance were Trustees Lynda Clemmons, Janet Jones, Sally Wofford, Leigh Leckron, Amy
Brombaugh and Joe Ewing. Trustee Gary Jones was absent. Also in attendance were Director Krystal Gulley and Architect John
Consent Agenda: There was a brief discussion about the posting of memorial funds and the calendar used for the Board reports.
Director Gulley cleared up all questions. A motion was made by Trustee Janet Jones to accept the consent agenda as presented.
Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote.
- President Clemmons reported that a visitation for Mona Nelson, past Trustee of the Board, would be held from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm at Reed’s Funeral Chapel on Friday. A discussion followed as to how the Board wished to honor her memory within the Library.
- The patron incident that was discussed at the last meeting seems to be resolved. The Library will restore the youth computers that had been in the children’s library.
- September 2nd the art work of Sandy Clark will be hung in the Alice Barnes room.
- The next Brown Bags and Books will be August 24th
. The book to be discussed will be “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed and will be led by Judy Winkeler.
- Ryan Nelson’s reading group will meet on August 15th and August 22nd
- On August 31st, former Harrisburg School District educator, Blaine Greer will present his new book, “Willow Sieve Chronicles – Eavesdropping from the Wilderness”.
- On September 7th, at 1:00 pm, Krystal Gulley and Lynda Clemmons will present a book club style discussion of the book, ”Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet” by Jamie Ford. Jamie Ford will also be at Southeastern Illinois College on September 21st at noon for an Author Program. There will be a box lunch included with the $10.00 admission ticket.
- Building Committee: The awning at the south entrance is up, however, Roth Signs still has some flashing work to do.
Keith is checking the gutter drain on the west side of the building to see if it could be contributing to the water coming in that door during rains.
- Policy Committee: Trustee Janet Jones presented the committee’s proposed change to the vacation portion of the Library’s policy. Considerable discussion followed with the proposal being tabled until Director Gulley can determine if our accounting program can handle an hourly accrual method of determining vacation earned by the employees.
- Finance Committee: The tentative budget for fiscal years 2016/2017 was presented. A motion was made by Trustee Wofford to accept the tentative budget as presented. Motion passed unanimously on a voice vote.
Architect John Baker presented a new drawing for the exterior foot print of the proposed new building based on the changes suggested by the Trustees at the last meeting as well as an updated drawing of the interior space. Some minor suggestions were made by the Trustees. He will now develop more detailed drawings.
- Director Gulley is working on the IPLAR report and will distribute to the Trustees when it is complete.
- Brent, with the KEB Audit firm indicated that they could do our audit for $5,000.00 without the GASB segment. The Trustees felt that the $1,500.00 increase over last year was too much and asked Director Gulley to check with other libraries to see who they use before making a commitment.
- The ALSC Conference that Emily Drone will be attending is an online virtual conference and will cost $175.00 with no overnight expenses incurred.
- The proposal from Fowler Heating & Cooling was discussed and we agreed that due to the age of the unit we should replace the 5 ton air conditioner and matching indoor coil at a cost of $7,942.00. Proposal passed unanimously on a voice vote.
- Discussion on cleaning the exterior of the building and washing the windows led to the agreement that Director Gulley should check with a couple other firms as the dryvit on the exterior is very fragile and would not want it damaged.
- There was a discussion regarding the library hosting the Chamber of Commerce quarterly luncheon in September. It was agreed that we should host the luncheon and we should ask a Chamber member to cater the meal. Mackie’s Pizzawas suggested. Director Gulley will check with them.
On a motion by Trustee Janet Jones, the meeting adjourned at 6:16 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Trustee Joe Ewing, Sec.